Thursday 12 February 2015

My inciting incident - Girl Online Review ( posted on February 5th, 2015)

Hy Everyone!
If you would read this post untill the very end, you’ll notice that It doesn’t endwith bye x! Nope I decided to start writing my posts in English and Dutch ( dus iedereen die wil kan hieronder ongeveer hetzelfde lezen maar dan in het Nederlands :D )
So, this post is going to be about “Girl Online”, the book Zoë Sugg aka Zoella wrote. If you haven’t read the book yet and you’re planning to read it, DON’T READ THE REST OF THIS POST!!!! ( not that many spoilers but hey, don’t say I didn’t warn you). But it’s soooo good!!!!!!!
For those who continue reading this, WELCOME and enjoy this! 
Let me know if you guys ( if you read the book already) thought the same things and what your favorite moments in the story were. And if you haven’t read the book but are planning to, after reading this blogpost, what changed your mind? Tell me! I really wanna know 
Finally, I want to say that this won’t be a boring book report but an insight (in case you haven’t realized) in what I felt when I read the book and what my favorite moments were.


About the book itself =

image
Amazing cover, lovely colors, the text size is okay too. The difference in the fonts (ex. The font they wrote the Texts in and the font they wrote the Story in) was really good. And the sentences that were bold (in the blogs) were a nice alternation.
A little thing (that actually only counts if you are me) that was confusing was the fact that both Blog and the new chapters had a title. NOTE TO SELF : I HAVE TO READ THE TITLES! XD 
Is this something that you guys encounter too?


The Story = ( This next part won’t be straightforward ( sorry to all my teachers :p ) but concurrence(? I don’t know if this is the right word) of all my thoughts and feelings… sorry about that! )
First of all : The books reads ( really, really, really) well ! (In dutch we say : het leest als een trein (translated : It reads like a train) ). And the train is actually the place I started reading it :p 
Where did you guys start?
It’s a very well written story, sometimes a bit predictable( but that’s probably because I read and watch a lot of romantic comedies ). I have to admit, a boy like Noah, the “Love interest”, is definitely a guy I would fall in love with #blushblush ;). And now I really wanna go to NYC….. 
Who wants to go with me? :p (and who will pay for it ? :/)
I’m not the biggest fan of such a cliché stories (this was my first thought when I read the back of the book), but O GOD was I wrong! The book has a great storyline, the characters are worked out really well and are very realistic / from this century. And although Zoë said ( in multiple interviews about the book) that the characters aren’t based on people that exist, I think she left a little piece of herself behind in every one of them, but mostly Penny. ( That’s actually not that weird cause she’s the main character) You guys probably know what I mean… if not, you really have to watch Zoë on Youtube or read her Blog!
On the other hand, it’s very clear that Brighton ( mostly the pier ( same in dutch? Ö) ) and NYC are the two places where the story happens. I think those two places are the most important places for Zoë …. Positive for me : I really want to visit Brighton someday soon.
The book made me think about blogging and if I want to continue doing it. I don’t know how this will end ( now 4 years on Tumblr, 65 followers later) but I really like doing this. From the story, I learned that you don’t have to hide if something doesn’t goes as planned or when someone tells a lie about you.
No, you have to make your own story….
Because I read Girl Online (like I mentioned in the beginning) I decided to write my blog ( like you can see below) in Dutch too so I can approach more people.
It also made me think about the existence of the real “Prince Charming”. I came to the conclusion that he ( or she for that matter) does exist. You just have to be patient, he/she will come… someday. ;)
Besides all that, I once again realize it is very important to rise against bullies. (After reading the book I really want to throw some milkshakes over the head of a few people… just saying) And although I don’t have to deal with bullies anymore, I really hope that the people who are being bullied and who read this book ( or my blogpost) will realize that they have to stand up for themselves.
Think about 3 things that make you happy when you’re sad -> this was one of the most inspiring things I read in the Girl Online and I really gonna try to remember that. 
Let me know if it helps you guys or not.
Now I want pancakes … Damned Sadie Lee :p
While I was reading Girl Online I cried, laughed, cried from laughter and laughed even more. ( Really hard to not be loud when your parents are asleep in the room next to yours … #woops XD )
Elliot, the best friend of the main character, is the character I liked the most and the one I had the most sympathy for.  (https://twitter.com/Sax_O_PhoneGirl/status/560221672918515713 ) His situation made me think about a few friends of mine who went through the same thing. And unfortunately they didn’t have the dad of their best friend who could talk some sense into their parents.
I really want to read the book again in English, cause, although it’s a great translation, I really have the feeling I’m missing something when it’s translated. 
You guys too?


Here’s my top 10 of “Favorite moments in the book” (not in that order)
* The moment that Penny had to take a picture of Megan during rehearsal ( very recognizable when you’re an amateur photographer)
* When Penny tells Ollie she has fleas ( I was laughing sooo hard! )
* The Blogpost about outgrowing (Is that the word?) your best friends
* When Penny fell on stage + the video that went viral ( okay, not the happiest moment but definitely one of my favorites. It just shows you that you can have friends who you think are good friends but they’re enemies instead ( did I explain it right? ) )
* The hidden restaurant Noah takes Penny to. I’m wondering if this exists ? Anyone ? TELL ME!!! :D
* The night/evening Noah calls Penny and they watch the moon together ( I like Noah’s story about the Aliens better !)
* Bella. Just every moment! I wanna hug her!!!
* Christmas Eve, the 1$/hmmmmm =D
* Three things that make you happy ( conversation between Penny and Bella)
* The moment that Elliot and Penny throw a milkshake at Ollie and Megan = hilarious!
And to be honest, I was really, really jealous about Penny XD as far as you can be jealous about a fictional character….
Finally, my 3 resolutions =
* Posting a blopost every Thursday (unless something comes between)
* Taking my camera with me everywhere ( if there’s something fun planned)
* To keep Believing in myself
And if I may, a fourth one =
* Keeping my family and friends close.

I could be very cliché now and end this with “Goodbye! X” but I’m gonna post what I wrote in my tweets that I’ve sent to Zoë, the night I've finished reading the book, instead…

@ZozeeBo I've just read your book and I really loved it. I think I'm gonna make a blogpost about it next week. It was a really great story and I just want to say Thank You for making me (and a lot of others) fall in love with it.
 

Zoë talks about Girl Online : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCwJiYLSz1A 



Hoi Iedereen! 
Ja jullie hebben goed gelezen, ik schrijf nu ook in het Nederlands :D Hierboven kon je lezen wat ik vond van Girl Online, hier kan je het eigenlijk nog eens lezen maar dan in het Nederlands... hopelijk wordt het voor jullie nog iets duidelijker wat ik er nu eigenlijk echt van vond.
Wie het boek nog niet gelezen heeft en dit echt nog van plan is, LEES NIET VERDER! Maar het is echt wel een aanrader! Hierbij wil ik nog even vermelden dat er dus echt wel spoilers volgen én dat dit geweldig boek te danken is aan Zoë Sugg aka Zoella. 
Voor wie nu echt verder zal lezen, WELKOM en geniet er van! Laat eens weten of jullie ( indien jullie het boek hebben gelezen) er ook zo over denken of wat jullie de leukste momenten vonden. 
Als je het boek niet hebt gelezen en het je, door deze blog, wel aanspreekt, waarom? Vertel me wat je van gedachten heeft doen veranderen. :) 
Ten slotte wil ik nog even vermelden dat dit geen saai boekverslag zal worden maar een inkijk ( indien je dit nog niet doorhad) op hoe ik mij voelde tijdens het lezen van het boek en wat mijn favoriete momenten waren in het verhaal.


Over het boek zelf = 

image
Kei leuke omslag, zalige kleuren, tekstgrootte is ook zeer goed. Het wisselen van lettertype tussen smsjes en het gewone verhaal was zeer duidelijk. En af en toe een vetgedrukte zin in het boek ( de blogdelen dan wel) was echt een leuke afwisseling.  
Een klein minpuntje ( en dat doe ik eigenlijk mezelf aan) is dat het soms verwarrend is dat de blogpagina's een titel hebben (en op een nieuwe pagina starten). Maar dit is een werkpunt voor mezelf = IK MOET DE TITELS LEREN LEZEN! XD  
Komen jullie dit ook soms tegen
Het verhaal zelf = ( dit zal totaal geen rechtlijnige opbouw zijn, maar een samensmijtsel van mijn hersenkronkels :) )
Eerst en vooral :  boek leest als een trein! En daar ben ik ook beginnen lezen ( waar zijn jullie begonnen?
Het is een zeer goed opgebouwd verhaal, soms een beetje voorspelbaar ( maar dat komt denk ik omdat ik zelf veel zo'n romantische komedies kijk/lees) . Ik moet eerlijk toegeven, op zo'n jongen als Noah, de "love interest", zou ik zelf ook wel verliefd kunnen worden #bloosbloos ;) . En nu heb ik nog meer zin om naar NYC te gaan... 
Wie wil er mee? :p (en betaalt ondertussen ook nog eens? :/ )
Nu, normaal ben ik nie echt zo'n fan van clichéverhaaltjes ( dit was mijn eerste idee van het boek toen ik de achterkant las), maar man man man, wat zat ik er naast! Er is een echte diepgang, de personen zijn echt goed uitgedokterd en zeer realistisch/ van deze tijd. En hoewel Zoë, in verschillende interviews over het boek, heeft gezegd dat de personages op niemand zijn gebaseerd heb ik echt wel de indruk dat ze in ieder personage wel iets van zichzelf heeft achtergelaten, en dan vooral in Penny. (wat misschien niet zó raar is aangezien ze het hoofdpersonage is) Jullie weten waarschijnlijk wel waarop ik doel... zo niet moeten jullie dringend Zoë volgen op Youtube of haar blog lezen! 
Aan de andere kant is het echt overduidelijk dat Brighton ( en vooral de pier) en NYC de twee plaatsen zijn waar het verhaal zich afspeelt. Dit zijn volgens mij de twee plaatsen die Zoë het nauwst aan het hart liggen. Positief voor mij is dat ik echt steeds meer zin krijg om Brighton eens te bezoeken... 
Het boek op zich heeft mij doen nadenken over bloggen en of ik zelf er mee verder wil doen. Ik weet totaal niet op wat dit zal uitdraaien ( nu 4 jaar op Tumblr en 65 volgers later ) maar ik doet dit echt wel graag. Uit het verhaal heb ik ook geleerd dat je je niet moet wegstoppen als iets tegenvalt of iemand een leugen over je vertelt.
Nee, je eigen verhaal durven doen...
Door het lezen van Girl Online ( en dit heb ik ook in het begin vermeld) heb ik besloten om mijn blog ook in het Nederlands te schrijven en die achteraf te vertalen in het Engels zodat ik meer mensen kan aanspreken. 
Het heeft mij ook doen nadenken over het bestaan van de prins op het witte paard en me eigenlijk doen inzien dat dit weldegelijk het geval kan zijn. Maar dat je gewoon geduld moet hebben, hij/zij komt zelf wel aanwaaien ( of rijden als het op een paard zou zijn ;) ) 
Verder heb ik nog maar eens ingezien hoe belangrijk het is om op te staan tegen pesters ( Na het lezen van het boek wil ik ook wel eens een milkshake over een paar mensen hun hoofd kieperen). En hoewel ik er nu, vele jaren later geen probleem meer mee heb hoop ik dat mensen die gepest worden en het boek ( of misschien wel deze blogpost) lezen zullen inzien dat het echt goed is om voor zichzelf te durven opkomen. 
Denk wanneer je verdrietig bent altijd aan 3 leuke dingen -> was een van de meest inspirerende dingen die ik in Girl Online gelezen heb en ik zal dit ook echt proberen! 
Laat eens weten of dit jullie helpt of niet.
En nu heb ik zin in pannenkoeken... verdorie Sadie Lee :p 
Ik heb tijdens het lezen van Girl Online gelachen, gehuild en nog meer gelachen ( wat trouwens zeer moeilijk was om stil te houden aangezien, op het uur wanneer ik het boek las, mijn ouders al aan het slapen waren... #woops )
Met Elliot, de beste vriend van het hoofdpersonage heb ik het meeste meegeleefd. ( https://twitter.com/Sax_O_PhoneGirl/status/560221672918515713 ) Zijn situatie deed mij denken aan wat een paar vrienden van mij jammergenoeg ook meegemaakt hebben. En zij hadden geen beste vriendin haar pa die er even mee kon gaan babbelen ... 
Ik wil het boek zeker nog eens lezen in het Engels want, hoewel het echt een goeie vertaling is, ik heb echt het gevoel dat je altidj iets mist wanneer je een vertaling leest. 
Jullie ook? 
Hier is mijn "Favoriete momenten uit het boek" Top 10 :D (niet specifiek in die volgorde)
* Het moment dat Penny van Megan een foto moest trekken tijdens de generale repetitie ( dit was zo herkenbaar als amateurfotograaf !) 
* Wanneer Penny Ollie zegt dat ze vlooien had ( ja ik lag plat van het lachen)
* De Blogpost over het ontgroeien van je beste vrieden
* De val van Penny op het podium + het viraal gaan van het filmpje ( niet het leukste moment maar wel een van mijn favorieten, zo zie je maar hoe slecht mensen kunnen zijn waarvan je dacht dat ze je vrienden waren)
* Het verdoken restaurant waar Noah Penny mee naartoe neemt. Ik vraag mij af, zou dit echt bestaan? Iemand die dit weet? LET ME KNOW!
* De avond dat Noah Penny belt en ze samen naar de, door Aliens, geelgemaakte maan kijken ( ja, Noah zijn versie was gewoon beter)
* Bella. Gewoon alle momenten met Bella. Ik wil haar knuffelen!!! 
* Kerstavond, de 1$ per "hmmmmm" :D 
* De drie dingen waar je bij van wordt ( gesprek tussen Bella en Penny)
* Het moment dat Elliot en Penny een milkshake over Ollie en Megan smijten = hilarisch!
Om echt eerlijk te zijn, ik was verdorie stikjaloers op Penny XD Voor zover je jaloers kan zijn op een fictief personage uit een goed boek natuurlijk... 
En ten slotte, mijn 3 goede voornemens = 
* Iedere donderdag een blogpost ( tenzij er iets tussenkomt)
* Mijn camera altijd meedoen (als er ook maar iets leuks te gebeuren staat)
* In mezelf blijven geloven 
En als ik nog een vierde mag bijvoegen =
* Mijn beste vrienden en familie dicht bij me houden. 

Hoewel ik weet dat ze dit waarschijnlijk niet zal lezen, hierbij nog een dikke merci aan Annemarie de Vries, diegene die dit boek vertaald heeft in het Nederlands! 
Zoë over Girl Online ( in het engels.. duh) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCwJiYLSz1A 

No comments:

Post a Comment